Paying Taxes on Commissions

Being a self-employed TVC Marketing associate provides huge benefits like flexibility and unlimited earning potential. But what does this mean as tax season rolls around? We’ve answered a few of the most common tax questions below.

What taxes do I have to pay?

Despite the non-traditional lifestyle of being an independent associate, you must still pay taxes, including a self-employment tax.

As an independent associate, rules and regulations differ depending on your state and local government. Be sure to contact a local tax expert for any questions about taxes in your area.

What income do I need to pay taxes for?

All income sources from TVC Marketing — whether advanced commission, as-earned commission, override commission or bonuses — are taxable at local, state and federal levels.

How do I know my total income?

If you were an associate in 2018, you should have received a 1099-MISC form from TVC Marketing. This document provides an overview of your earnings throughout the year. If you have not received this form, or if you need a replacement, please contact Associate Services immediately.

It’s important to keep accurate financial records, including income and expenses, which will make the tax process easier.

When do I need to pay my taxes?

Like anyone else, you must submit your federal and state tax forms by April 15 after any year in which you’ve earned more than $400.

Additional tax resources can be found within the TVC associate agreement or through the Associate Services line. You can find the TVC Pro-Driver and MCA Associate Services phone numbers and availability in your back office or training manual.